US Airstrike Kills Afghan Woman, 2 Children, In Khost Province
An overnight US airstrike has killed three innocent Afghan civilians, the war-torn Central Asian nation’s president claimed on Tuesday.
The American attack occurred on Monday night in the Nadir Shah Kot district of Khost province, the New York Times reports. Afghan officials said a NATO warplane fired a rocket into a village where a family was gathered in a tent. A woman and two children were killed and a man was injured in the bombing.
Provincial government spokesman Mubrez Zadran told reporters investigators had been dispatched to the scene of the attack. Zadran said the strike appears to have accidentally targeted a home.
The US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said it was also investigating the incident.
“We are looking into these allegations and will provide more information as available,” ISAF said in a statement.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned the deadly attack as a “violation of agreements between the two countries” while ordering a separate investigation of the incident.
US and NATO airstrikes have killed or wounded at least many hundreds of innocent Afghan civilians. Civilian casualties have long angered Karzai, who once even threatened to join the Taliban if the US did not stop killing innocent Afghans. The issue of civilian casualties has complicated American efforts to convince Karzai, who will soon step down after being termed out of office, to accept a bilateral agreement that would allow US troops to remain in the country after 2014.
While civilian casualties caused by US and NATO airstrikes have declined in recent years, horrific accidents do still occur with some regularity. In January, at least eight civilians, including at least seven children, were killed during a US air attack on a village in Parwan province.