Flesh-Eating Drug Krokodil Hospitalizes 2 in Arizona
Medical authorities in Arizona have reported the arrival of a frightening flesh-eating drug that’s sent two people to the hospital with horrific injuries.
Krokodil, a potentially deadly mix of codeine and hydrocarbons such as oil, gasoline, alcohol or paint thinner, causes flesh to rot from the inside out and can result in users developing festering sores that resemble crocodile skin, hence the drug’s name. Users inject it into their veins, which causes severe damage to blood vessels and tissue and, in some cases, rots flesh so completely that raw bone becomes exposed. Although Krokodil is boiled before injection, potentially lethal impurities remain.
According to KSAZ, doctors claim the average life expectancy of a Krokodil user is about three years, as the drug literally eats addicts alive.
Recovering Krokodil addict Irina Pavlova told Time in 2011 that nearly all of the dozen or so users she used to hang around and get high with are dead now.
“For some it led to pneumonia, some got blood poisoning, some had an artery burst in their heart, some got meningitis, others simply rot,” said Pavlova, who credits joining an Evangelical Christian sect with her recovery.
Now the Poison Control Center in Banner, Arizona has reported the first two known cases of Krokodil users being hospitalized in the United States.
“We’ve had two cases this past week,” Dr. Frank LoVechhio, co-medical director at the center, told KLTV. “As far as I know, these are the first cases in the United States… we’re extremely frightened.”
“Where there is smoke there is fire,” LoVecchio, who would not comment on the two patients’ conditions, added. “We’re afraid there are going to be more and more cases.”