Moral Low Ground

Our Earth

SFPD Warns Dog Guardians to Beware after Hundreds of Rat Poisoned Meatballs Found in City

(Photo: SFPD)

(Photo: SFPD)

San Francisco police have warned dog guardians to take extra precautions after hundreds of rat poisoned meatballs were found in numerous city neighborhoods.

CBS Bay Area reports no suspects have yet been identified in what police believe is an intentional attempt to sicken or kill dogs with what veterinarians believe is strychnine– a common rodenticide– mixed into meatballs.

The San Francisco Examiner reports poisoned meatballs have so far been found in the Lower Haight, Cole Valley, Hayes Valley, Bernal Heights and Twin Peaks neighborhoods.

San Francisco police warned the public about the potentially deadly meatballs after a 7-year-old dachshund named Oskar ate some of them near Crestline Drive and Burnett Avenue in Twin Peaks last week. Oskar suffered a seizure minutes after ingesting the poison and is hospitalized in critical but stable condition.

“We’re still optimistic,” said Dr. Carrie Jurney, a board-certified neurologist at Animal Internal Medicine and Speciality Services, where Oskar is being treated. “We just have to get over a few more humps, but he’s a fighter,” Jurney told the Examiner.

Oskar’s vet costs could reach as high as $26,000. SFPD officers at the Park station pitched in $250 towards the bill. A fund has been set up for those wishing to donate to help cover Oskar’s medical costs.

Two other dogs have been treated after ingesting the poisoned meatballs.

“You’ve got to be very cognizant of what your dog has in her mouth,” SFPD Inspector Joseph Nannery told CBS Bay Area. “I can’t say with certainty that all of the meatballs have been found because I don’t think that they have been.”

SFPD urges anyone with information regarding this case to call (415) 554-9400. Residents who find what they suspect to be poisoned meatballs should call (415) 553-0123.

SF dog guardians: beware what's in your pet's mouth. (That's this reporter's Ponyo with the ball in her mouth)

SF dog guardians: beware what’s in your pet’s mouth. (That’s this reporter’s Ponyo with the ball in her mouth)

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

Related Posts

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Douche Du Jour
  • GOP Congressman Robert Pittenger Says Charlotte Protesters ‘Hate White People Because They’re Successful’
  • Israel Nominates Col. Eyal Karim, Who Endorsed Rape of Non-Jews to ‘Boost Troop Morale,’ for Chief Military Rabbi
  • The Hateful 8: Anti-Gay Christian Leaders Praise Orlando Massacre
  • Koch Brother’s Youth Education Program Teaches ‘Sacrificing Lives for Profits’
  • Tracy Murphree, GOP Texas Sheriff Candidate, Threatens to Beat Transgender Women Unconscious
Archives