Moral Low Ground

Our Earth

Indiana Retiree Gloria Chubb Finds Dead Toad in Can of Meijer Green Beans

April 29, 2013 by Brett Wilkins in Food & Agriculture with 0 Comments

An Indiana retiree got more than she paid for in a can of store-brand green beans when she found a dead toad among the veggies.

Gloria Chubb of South Bend was preparing a dinner of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and beans when she made the horrifying discovery of a small dead toad in a can of 69 cent Meijer green beans.

“We eat a lot of green beans,” Chubb explained to WBND. “We do. We did. Nobody wants anymore now.”

“My son put some [green beans] on his plate and said, ‘What is that?'” Chubb said, describing how her family found the unwanted ingredient in their vegetables. “I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something, because they have bacon in them sometimes. I had it in my hand because I was trying to figure out what it was. And I took it out of there and it wasn’t moldy bacon. It was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans; other than that he was fully intact.”

“I didn’t see it until after I cooked it in the microwave,” Chubb continued. “I was sick, nauseated for two days, and I don’t think I’ll have green beans anytime soon.”

Chubb took every can of Meijer green beans she had back to her local Meijer store for a refund. The canning company later sent her an apology letter and $50 for her trouble. She took the dead toad to the St. Joseph County Health Department, which in turn forwarded it to the Indiana State Department of Health.

It was then determined that the toad got into the beans during the canning process, which occurred in Wisconsin.

“When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green beans during processing,” St. Joseph’s County Health Department food service director Rita Hooten told WBND.

“I think they should come up with a better way of inspecting and canning vegetables,” Chubb told WBND. “I mean, anything can happen, you know, but a whole frog?”

According to the Indiana State Department of Health, toads, mice and grasshoppers are the critters most commonly found in both canned and frozen vegetables.

Tagged , , , , , ,

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Douche Du Jour
  • GOP Congressman Robert Pittenger Says Charlotte Protesters ‘Hate White People Because They’re Successful’
  • Israel Nominates Col. Eyal Karim, Who Endorsed Rape of Non-Jews to ‘Boost Troop Morale,’ for Chief Military Rabbi
  • The Hateful 8: Anti-Gay Christian Leaders Praise Orlando Massacre
  • Koch Brother’s Youth Education Program Teaches ‘Sacrificing Lives for Profits’
  • Tracy Murphree, GOP Texas Sheriff Candidate, Threatens to Beat Transgender Women Unconscious
Archives