Our Earth

Video: Tim Sappington Curses Animal Rights Activists before Shooting Horse in Head

A New Mexico man has enraged animal rights activists by posting a YouTube video of himself shooting a horse in the head.

KOB reports that Tim Sappington, a maintenance contractor at Valley Meat Co. in Roswell, shot the disturbing video at his Dexter home. In it, Sappington leads a horse from its enclosure before sending a message to animal rights activists.

“To all you animal activists, fuck you,” he says into the camera. He then pulls a pistol from a holster on his hip and fires one shot into the horse’s head, instantly felling the animal. The horse is convulsed by a death spasm as it lies on the ground.

“Good,” Sappington then says as he walks away from the dead horse.

WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO–

The Albuquerque Journal reports that the state Livestock Board is now investigating the incident as a potential act of animal cruelty, serving Sappington with a search warrant on Thursday as public outrage over the killing has spread throughout the country. Sappington has reportedly received death threats, as are the operators of Valley Meat Co., who insist they had nothing to do with the video.

“You know what people should be slaughtering? You fucking spicks, [you] should never have been allowed in this country,” one caller said.

“I didn’t have anything to do with that video, that’s the honest truth, but like I said, people will make assumptions,” Valley Meat Co. co-owner Rick De Los Santos told KOB.

De Los Santos said he supports Sappington’s right to shoot and eat his horse, but he did not agree with posting a mean-spirited video depicting the killing.

“He shot a horse, that’s what he eats, it’s not against the law to slaughter your own horse,” De Los Santos said. “Now, putting it on YouTube, I would not have done that.”

Valley Meat Co. is currently seeking federal approval to slaughter horses after Congress lifted a ban on the practice in 2011. While the slaughter of horses for food is controversial in the United States, some prominent animal advocacy groups, foremost among them People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) supported ending the ban on horse slaughter. PETA spokeswoman Lindsay Wrajt told NewsChannel 5 that domestic horse slaughter is the lesser of two evils since horses were sometimes inhumanely transported to Canada and Mexico during the ban.

“We want to avoid that, those trips are horrible for those animals,” Wrajt said. “Often times they’re denied food and water, the don’t get any rest, they don’t have any time to stretch their legs, so to speak, during that trip and we want to avoid putting them through that.”

Tagged , , , , , , ,

1. laura haleyMarch 24, 2013 at 11:09 amReply

I’ve heard about the negative comments I haven’t gotten to read them till today I don’t know how you can truly judge someone without meeting them. I would like to share a couple of things about this man. Then you can try to past judgment without meeting him. I first met Tim over 20 years ago, my father horseshoed his horses. They were never what you call close friends but acquiesce. Over 2 years ago my brother took his life. The morning came and Tim was at my father’s home wanting to know if we needed any help or anything he could do. After my brother’s death, my father took it very hard and alcohol took control of his life. My father got to the point of not wanting to go on with life anymore. Tim showed up to the hospital and brought my father to his home, fixed a bedroom up and let him know that there are people that care for him very much. My father still drinks but he hasn’t talked about not going on with life anymore. I lost my brother and the only reason why I haven’t lost my father is because of what Tim done. I turned to drugs and lost everything. Three months ago I found myself homeless and nowhere to go. At 230 in the morning I called Tim and asked him for help. He opened his home to me and fixed the very same bedroom he did for my father for me. The only thing he ever asks of me is to stay clean, be positive and occasionally if I could turn down the radio in my room. I feel very blessed because I couldn’t tell you or even put in words where I would be right now if it wasn’t for him. Last month he was working in the shop on a project he needs to get done. One of the neighbors came down and asked him if he could help load a trailer. He stopped doing what he was working on and spent the rest of the day loading a trailer. If you very find yourself broke down on the side of the road and watch people drive right on by be assure he isn’t one of them. He’s the one that stops to help. I am so ashamed of the people writing these comments. The time you drive by make threats, sit at the computer to make threats. The world would be a better place if you could be more like him and take the time to help a family member, a friend, neighbor, or even a stranger. He is by no means perfect but he’s not the bad guy people have made him out to be, He doesn’t know I’m posting this and is probably going to be upset at me but I thought everybody should know what kind of man you are judging. The people posting positive comments I truly thank you very much and I hope you keep it up because he needs your support more then he knows. Thank you for taking the time to stop and read this post because now you know some things about this man, Tim. Laura Haley

• FucktheCOWARDSMarch 25, 2013 at 9:15 pmReply

Who cares? i know real killers and shit like that, some of them from my old block, they were very good friends of me since i was a kid, and they are “good” people to some of us in the block, but that doesn’t change the point, they are killers, they are insane, and they are dangerous. Now they are in jail, and it’s ok because they are not good people at all, not because they were my friends that changes the fact that they are insane and dangeorus people, and i’m not stupid to say: “I don’t know how you can truly judge someone without meeting them”, my friends was shit and i will never stand for them, because i’m not shit like them, what are you?.

So fuck TIM, he is the same shit as my old killer friends. If you support or stand for a fucking insane human, you are the same!…

• AdamleyMarch 26, 2013 at 10:00 pmReply

nobody gives a shit about your experiences with him. I hope he bides his time well as he will get whats coming to him. You do shit like this to animals and you will get shit done to you. I hope some of the threats actually materialize for this asshole.

I also hope everyone stops doing business with valley meats.

• CarrieMarch 30, 2013 at 4:20 pmReply

It is admirable that you would stand up for your friend and try to counter some of the (un)popular perceptions of him, HOWEVER, no one forced him to do what he did and video tape it. No one forced him to say horrible things and behave as he did. I have no issue with people killing animals for food. I do have issue with people who take sick satisfaction from doing it. He took pleasure in causing harm and pain and he was happy to share it with the world as part of literally saying FU to those he didn’t like. He caused harm and pain not only to the poor, trusting animal he killed but also the people that have witnessed what he has done. That was his goal after all, wasn’t it? To cause mental anguish to other human beings with his actions. Does that sound like a good person to you? People who enjoy causing harm or pain to other living creatures are not well. He is not well. Also to think you could do such a thing and put it online and not get some kind of negative response is beyond foolish. So if the world sees this man as both sick/twisted and dumb-as-hell then it really is his own fault. I don’t want anyone to harm him, if for no other reason than it makes animal rights activists and those that are upset by him look just as unhinged, but he really has brought this all on himself. He has no one else to blame, though I suspect he doesn’t see it that way. So keep telling the world about his good aspects, but please don’t be surprised that few are listening or feel anything other than hate for him.

2. ms jMarch 24, 2013 at 3:44 pmReply

To Laura Haley: Nobody else made him out to be a bad guy, he did it all by himself. Not just by shooting the horse but by being so dumb and callous as posting the video to a public forum.

3. FrankMarch 24, 2013 at 5:51 pmReply

Ever heard the expression “one aw shit erases 1000 attaboys”

4. JusticeForMoodyMarch 25, 2013 at 4:42 amReply

Laura, you want us to be more like Tim Sappington? Are you deranged? If you are anything like Tim, you and he should get out of America and go live in Antartica where you belong. He shot an innocent healthy horse. Doesn’t that mean anything to you or are you so blind because he helped you and your father once? Get your head out of the clouds, Laura and quit defending this monster. He is headed nowhere fast and could be arrested and he is already unemployed. He is going to be hunted down by an animal activist or horse lover if this video goes viral, which it has already started to do. He did a very stupid thing. It was all about his male ego and small penis.

5. diablojamesApril 3, 2013 at 6:52 pmReply

Laura,

” Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodnessof character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man. ”
    ( Schopenhauer )

Please don’t confuse anecdote for truth. Cruelty to defenseless animals for personal gratification is evil and cowardly. Tim Sappington is both