Features

Indiana Teacher Diana Medley Joins Students, Parents and Pastors in Backing ‘No Gays’ Sullivan High School Prom

A group students from Sullivan High School in Sullivan, Indiana, backed by parents, some local pastors and even a teacher, are calling for a separate prom that bans lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) students from attendance.

WTWO reports that Diana Medley, a special education teacher at North Central Junior-Senior High School in nearby Farmersburg, is supporting the Sullivan group calling for a “good”– read LGBT-free– prom. Medley said that gays and lesbians, who she believes chose to be that way, have “no purpose in life.”

While banning LGBT students from the school’s official prom is illegal, supporters of the “2013 Sullivan Traditional Prom” have borrowed a page from the Southern segregationist playbook and are attempting to organize a ‘separate-but-equal’ prom at which gays would not be welcome.

A significant number of Sullivan High students, their parents and local religious leaders are on board with the plan.

“If we can get a good prom then we can convince more people to come and follow what they believe,” student Kynon Johnson told WTWO.

“We want the public to see that we love the homosexuals but we don’t think it’s right nor should it be accepted,” another student said.

Bill Phegly, a pastor at the Carlisle Church, said he was ready for a fight.

“Christians have always been prepared for a fight,” he said. “Jesus gave us armor for the front, not the back; we’re not running anymore.”

Proponents of banning LGBT students from their prom met at the Sullivan First Christian Church on Sunday to strategize and express their bigotry towards gays.

“We don’t agree with it and it’s offensive to us,” Medley, the teacher, said of homosexuality. Medley told WTWO that she believes LGBT individuals choose their sexuality, a notion largely debunked by science.

“I believe it was life circumstances and they chose to be that way,” Medley opined. “God created everyone equal,” she added.

“Homosexual students come to me with their problems,” Medley continued. “I don’t agree with them, but I care about them. It’s the same thing with my special needs kids, I think God puts everyone in our lives for a reason.”

When WTWO reporter Paige Preusse asked Medley if she thought gays have a purpose in life, the teacher responded in the negative.

“No, honestly I don’t,” she said. “Sorry, but I don’t. I don’t understand it. A gay person isn’t going to come up and make some change unless it’s to realize that it was a choice and they’re choosing God.”

Not everyone in Sullivan agrees with the anti-gay group’s open discrimination against LGBT students. Local man Jim Davis told WTWO that we should “love them (gays) as a person.”

“You don’t have to love what they do, because the gays may not love all the mistakes you make,” Davis said. “We shouldn’t be condemning people, and that’s what judgment is. Christ came to save the people, not to condemn them.”

Click here for contact information on North Central Junior-Senior High School Principal Candice Fritz, Vice President Monty Kirk and teacher Diana Medley.  Here is a link to the Sullivan First Christian Church. Their phone number is 812-268-4348.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. crystal blandFebruary 12, 2013 at 7:04 amReply

its not a decision to be gay. you are born that way. god made everyone different. i am a christian and i believe EVERYONE should be treated equal. you shouldnt use your so called religious beliefs to take people out of something that they want for their life, like marriage or a prom. you are not god, that is his decision not yours. if god had a problem with someone being gay or lesbian, he will deal with it when that person passes away….

2. jason mathisFebruary 12, 2013 at 7:58 pmReply

this is the a major disrespect to all. last time i checked the church is not to make decissions for government founded schools. i am gay and in the military you are the sorriest people i have ever seen and i hope if you ban gays from prom some one sues you sorry butts you might need to go back and read your bible

3. oliverFebruary 13, 2013 at 4:48 amReply

I doubt she was born an intolerant ignorant bigot – THAT is a trait that is chosen. Sexual orientation is not chosen and it is only benighted so-called Christians – fundamentalist especially, who continue to maintain that is is a choice – what are they afraid of anyway?

4. open your eyesFebruary 13, 2013 at 9:18 amReply

Gays, liberals, pro abortionist…they all want tolerance as long as it advances thier agenda. Bottom line…Being gay is not natural or healthy, despite what they would have you believe. Being gay is definately a selfish choice that puts themselves into the line of fire from the much larger part of the world that is disgusted with thier sexual immorality. Gay Pride??? Whats to be proud of? That you can’t have a real relationship with the opposite sex, that you have to try to make your disgusting sexual preference acceptable to the majority of the world? Whats next…It’s ok to have sex with dogs…just be tolerant. Wrong is wrong no matter how you want to paint ot up with tolerance. You can put lipstick on a pig, but’s it’s still a pig. As goes the people, so goes the country!

5. jimmy MuchettiFebruary 13, 2013 at 9:44 amReply

Trouble is, that its not about being gay, or old, or any type of religion, or race, it’s about being free. This country was founded on freedom, and the right to pursue happiness. When I was growing up, we used to beat up guys that were gay. When the police would sometimes come and ask what was going on, we would tell them, “this guy is #$%$. The cops would then kick his butt too! No lie. I grew to understand that being gay wasn’t really a choice. Why else would anyone want to go through so much pain and humiliation, and hate? So who am I to; 1) Pass judgement on others? Or interfere with their right to determine their own lives. 2) To second guess God’s creations? Now I just try to respect everyone, and everything. And try to do the least amount of harm to the least amount of things.

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 13, 2013 at 10:50 amReplyAuthor

“Why would anyone want to go through so much pain and humiliation and hate…” great point!

• Rudolph McKnightFebruary 15, 2013 at 9:13 amReply

It is a choice, i have heard women say “i’am tired of men i’ m going to turn gay and get me a woman.
      these people are sick and to agree you must be.

• Josh BrownMarch 2, 2013 at 11:15 amReply

Rudolph McKnight, if you really believe women can “turn gay” because they get tired of men’s BS, you’re choosing to be an ignorant idiot. That’s an expression of exasperation much like saying “I’m so mad at [someone] that I’m going to kill [him/her].” Or is that too complicated for you?

No one chooses his/her sexual orientation any more than they choose to like broccoli and hate peas. When did you sit down and decide to be straight?

6. NicoleFebruary 14, 2013 at 9:04 amReply

Diana Medley and her kind have no purpose in life. They are clearly people with severe mental problems who have no love and compassion in their lives and therefore none to give. Do not attempt to make your disgusting beliefs mines or anyone else’s. Whatever backlash you are receiving is well deserved. Yea, go have your own prom. I dont want you and yours around my children. Snots.

7. Capt_dommFebruary 14, 2013 at 1:12 pmReply

Here’s how I see it. According to the laws of the land you cannot discriminate these people. If people want to have a separate non-school sponsored program on private property that may be a different story. As far as homosexuals are concerned, I think it is wrong. That doesn’t mean that I don’t associate with them. I would consider them to be my friends. Jesus ate with the publicans and the sinners. I do not condone their behavior. Lastly, the so called science on the “gay gene” is very flimsy at best. Do I think some people have a propensity toward homosexuality? Yes, I really like smoking pot. I don’t do it anymore and it is still a temptation but I have made a decision to stop that activity in my life. Some people are addicted to gambling, alcohol and all forms of destructive habits. Just because you have a propensity toward something doesn’t mean you have to do it.

8. Rudolph McKnightFebruary 15, 2013 at 9:02 amReply

Stick to your guns Diana, Gay’s are trying to take over the world. They already have women fighting in combat, they want to change the Boy scouts, they want to get married, it is not fair to any kid to have a gay man for a father and a gay man for a mother, and the other way around, that kid will be gay, and that’s what they want.

9. Rudolph McKnightFebruary 15, 2013 at 9:07 amReply

Just because she’s a teacher don’t mean she can’t be against immorals, and beging gay is immoral.

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 17, 2013 at 6:32 pmReplyAuthor