Features

Sarah Crank, Home-Schooled Maryland 14-Year-Old, Wants Senate to Vote “No” on Gay Marriage for her Birthday Present

A Maryland teenager has a shocking birthday wish for the state senate as it debates whether or not to grant equal marriage rights to gays and lesbians.

According to Towelroad, 14-year-old Sarah Crank (photos here and here) testified before Maryland’s Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee that it “would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote no on gay marriage.”

Crank testified:

“Today is my 14th birthday and it would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote NO on gay marriage. I really feel bad for the kids who have two parents of the same gender. Even though some kids think it’s fine, they have no idea what kind of wonderful experiences they miss out on. I don’t want more kids to get confused about what’s right and okay. I really don’t want to grow up in a world where marriage isn’t such a special thing anymore.”

It seems as if it is Crank who is confused, as thousands, if not tens of thousands, of children of same-sex parents lead perfectly normal lives across America. What “wonderful experiences” are these families missing out on? And why would granting loving same-sex couples marriage equality diminish the “specialness” of the institution? Is marriage less special now that people can marry who they love, not who makes the most economic sense, as was the case until quite recently in human history? No, it is more special. Is it any less special now that people of different races can marry? Of course not. So why would it be any less special if gays and lesbians can do it? On the contrary, marriage will be more special when all who love can marry who they please, for the institution is sullied by the unconscionable denial of rights.

Crank, who is home-schooled, displayed a shocking ignorance of sexual identity issues when she continued her testimony:

“It’s rather scary to think that when I grow up the legislature or the court can change the definition of any word they want. If they could change the definition of marriage then they could change the definition of any word. People have the choice to be gay, but I don’t want to be affected by their choice. People say that they were born that way, but I’ve met really nice adults who did change.”

Earth to Sarah Crank: gays and lesbians have about as much choice in the matter as you had about whether to be born a girl or a boy. In other words, none.

We can only hope that Ms. Crank’s ignorance is born from innocence regarding the very grown-up subject of human sexuality and sexual identity and not from indoctrinated bigotry. If you’re reading this, Sarah, I would strongly urge you to ask yourself why you would deny to others the rights you take for granted. Denying gays and lesbians the right to marry who they love is utterly unconscionable in this day and age, and whether you realize it or not, you’re on the wrong side of history on this, the most pressing civil rights issue of our time.

Here is audio of Ms. Crank’s Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee testimony:

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Scott RoseFebruary 1, 2012 at 7:55 amReply

Exactly where are the limits in wishing evil on strangers? That gay bashing zombie says her greatest ever birthday present would be a piece of gay bashing legislation? What if it’s my birthday and I say my preferred present is for Sarah Crank the gay bashing zombie to die? Does that gay bashing bitch have a brain in her head or is she a bigot parrot? That’s what I’d like to know directly from her. Are you a bigot parrot, Sarah, or am I going to have to pray for your death so that you as a zombie can not do any harm to innocent gay human beings?

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 1, 2012 at 9:00 amReplyAuthor

There is a difference between the death of rights and actual physical death, the latter of which should never be wished upon anyone, no matter how abhorrent their views may be or how much we may disagree with them.

• Scott RoseFebruary 1, 2012 at 5:28 pmReply

You appear to have missed some of the irony in my remark. The poor child obviously is just parroting her mother’s anti-gay bigotry. What’s more is that the mother is improperly manipulating the child without regard for the mother’s well-being. The reason I indulged in ironic hyperbole, though, it that alas, little anti-gay parrot bigot monsters all over the country do real harm psychological and physical to innocent gay human beings every single day. The last thing that innocent gay Americans need if they are to be able to enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is freedom from brainwashed gay bashing zombies. The mother has been very busy for years pressing her political gay bashing on the Maryland State Legislature. At this link you can read her hateful gay bashing there from the year 2008:

• LorraineFebruary 7, 2012 at 11:38 amReply

Scott Rose: You said “the reason you indulged in ironic hyperbole, though, it that alas, little anti-gay parrot bigot montsters all over the country do real harm psychological and physical to innocent gay human beings every single day.” Well thats strange because what did you just do to that innocent little girl??? You could have possibly pyschologically damaged her…you want people to respect your choice and opinions so why can’t you respect her view? We are ALL entitled to our own opinions and she was just merely stating her opinion as she was asked. You didn’t have to disrespect nor bash her because of it! In my opinion there is a difference between stating an opinion and “Gay Bashing” and i doubt she is Gay bashing. She merely stated that “People have the choice to be gay, but I don’t want to be affected by their choice.” I 100% back Sara Crank and I disagree with the nasty things you said wether or not You’re Gay or Not! You were out of Place for that and not to mention she is only 14! In order to get respect you have to give a little ~ thanks!

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 7, 2012 at 12:33 pmAuthor

While I agree with your assertion about the inappropriate nature of certain language used toward a child, let’s be clear: by stating that “people have the choice to be gay,” Ms. Crank has exhibited a shocking ignorance that deserves to be condemned in the strongest (civil) language and countered with scientific fact. If Crank were to make such a comment as, say, a public employee working in my city, she would probably lose her job. And rightfully so. Her words, while perhaps not rising to the level of gay “bashing,” are definitely laden with shocking homophobic ignorance.

This whole argument has got my blood boiling. How could people be so ignorant in this day and age? Well, at least I know that I am on the right side of history. History books will look back on your bigotry with the same scorn and incredulity we now reserve for those who defended slavery or the disenfranchisement of women. I can smile knowing that people like you are being increasingly marginalized and called out on your ignorance.

See the headlines lately? Same-sex marriage is coming soon to Washington state. And the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals today declared California’s same-sex marriage ban UNCONSTITUTIONAL! Enjoy the waning moments of the age of bigotry, ’cause in a few years, LGBT Americans will finally enjoy the civil rights they deserve. And you can move to Saudi Arabia or Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, where your views on homosexuality are welcomed.

• Scott RoseFebruary 1, 2012 at 6:38 pmReply

I think it’s very important to ask — will we or will we not acknowledge that this kind of ignorance-fueled anti-gay hatred is directly connected to attacks of psychological and physical violence against real-live, flesh-and-blood gay human beings? The 14-year-old anti-gay bigots in the schools today did not learn their hatred under a cabbage leaf. They learned it from their parents. And, they use it daily as a mandate to make some of their fellow students’ lives living hells. Some of those victims fall to bullycide. Others are physically attacked, maimed and even killed. There’s a largely untold history in this society, of gay students hounded out of high school and never being able to “catch up” educationally, emotionally, financially or in any other way. How galling that this woman has brought this charade in front of a state legislature. How disturbing and unacceptable that she has so perversely conditioned her child emotionally that the child says that keeping a minority in a second class citizen status will be her “best birthday present ever”? But most of all — when will we say “You will not torture another generation of gay youth with your ignorance-fueled bigotry”?

• Scott RoseFebruary 1, 2012 at 6:50 pmReply

Look: Here is a report from 2008:
        Kathleen Crank was busy “testifying” against gay human beings’ rights: athleen Crank, for example, felt compelled to testify because she finds homosexuality “devastating” and “redefining marriage is an activity undertaken to the peril of our civilized society.” Then we read of Bernice Melov (and allow me to point out; Bernice Melov; this woman is Jewish — she doesn’t believe in Kathleen Crank’s bigotry that she will go to hell for not believing in Jesus) the money quote goes to 89-year-old Bernice Melov, who has lived for more than 20 years with her gay son and his partner. According to the Sun, she said:
        Before I leave this earth, I want to celebrate fully equal civil marriage rights in Maryland. My time is short, and I’m in a hurry. Please don’t make me come back another year.

• Kathleeln CrankFebruary 1, 2012 at 9:13 amReply

Reply to Scott Rose,

I am certainly going to send these comments to the Senate committe that heard my daughter speak. Viciously name calling a 14 year old, beautiful girl has crossed some serious boundaries.

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 1, 2012 at 10:01 amReplyAuthor

Your bigotry is almost as unacceptable as Mr. Rose’s comment.

• A. KlaassenFebruary 1, 2012 at 3:28 pmReply

By placing your daughter in the midst of an emotionally charged cultural and political issue, you put her at the mercy of politics and the emotions of politics at their ugliest. As a parent, don’t use her as a pawn to advance your own agenda. Also, discourage her from taking on adult issues in public until she is an adult.

• Scott RoseFebruary 1, 2012 at 5:33 pmReply

And I certainly am going to send to Maryland State Legislators a voluminous history of your political gay bashing — going back years and years and years and including the vicious anti-gay lies you told when you were in “Concerned Women for America” and with the mountains of evidence of all your political gay bashing in front of them, I am going to ask the Maryland State Legislators if they people that Sarah testified without improper and inappropriate emotional blackmail and manipulation used against her by her mother. On its face it is sick and abnormal for a 14 year old to say that her “best birthday present ever” would be denying rights to gay couples. You are so far gone in your own sickness that you don’t see how horrifying it is for a 14 year old to be saying that in public. OMG you have withheld the right kinds of love from your poor child to get her to say that in public so that she can have your approval and emotional reward for having said it. Do you really think that none of the legislators will understand what is so grossly inappropriate in your political and emotional manipulation of the child?

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 1, 2012 at 7:34 pmReplyAuthor

You go, Scott. Too bad parents can’t be stripped of their custody rights for indoctrinating their children with bigotry and discrimination. Well, you can take comfort in the fact that the Cranks are on the wrong side– the losing side– of history. I am confident Maryland, and eventually the rest of the nation, will legalize marriage equality before too long! Keep up the good fight…

• Jessica NaomiFebruary 1, 2012 at 6:57 pmReply

Oh so it is okay for your gay bashing daughter to incite violence against children whose parents are not heterosexual but it is not ok when gay people bash back. How many kids does your brat gay bash here http://www.missgreenbelt.com/home.html? You are raising a child to hate. You should lose custody of your child. You are proof that children do not do better being raised by heterosexuals especially when those heterosexual parents are heterosupremacist tyrannical theocRATS who think that the only good gay is a dead gay.

• Scott RoseFebruary 1, 2012 at 8:24 pmReply

I want to talk to the Maryland State Legislators about how Bernice Melov told them in 2008 that she loved her gay son and wanted him to be able to marry his spouse officially before she passed away. In 2008 when Bernice Melov said that, she was 89. Neither you nor your brainwashed gay-bashing daughter can make any credible claim that Bernice Melov was doing you some injury by asking for her gay son to be allowed to marry his long-term loving companion. You are hate-mongering against gay people and as collateral damage you are inflicting unnecessary pain and suffering on people like Bernice Melov. You insert your daughter into the middle of this needless and unfair suffering that you are inflicting on innocent human beings that have never done anything to you (good or bad) and then you try to make it about your daughter. Well guess what? It really isn’t about your daughter. It’s about Bernice Melov and the son she loves. Who are *you* to cast judgment on that family and to deny them equality? Seriously — who do you think you are?

• Kathrin WackerFebruary 4, 2012 at 11:59 pmReply

Scott, I realize that your comment is mostly a sarcastic outpouring to convey your deep-seated, and justified, anger about the continious indoctrination of innocent children that keeps the cycle of bigotry and gay bashing going. I share that anger. But as others in this thread have pointed out, calling a child (or anyone) names, no matter how misguided they are, is inappropriate. It will only backfire on you, and take away your credibility, besides giving bigots like Mrs. Crank unnecessary ammunition. Sarcasm is lost on many people, especially when they’re riled about a topic of discussion. It is best reserved for forums of people who share your views, and your sense of black humor.

2. Kathleeln CrankFebruary 1, 2012 at 9:11 amReply

I am Sarah’s mother, and you are most certainly mistaken about the sexual identity issue. Sarah was telling the truth. We know several exgays quite well and i would be happy to provide their contact information for you. Perhaps you have no hope of changing your orientation, but it is possible. In fact, several high profile “gays” have changed. See the New York Times article this summer..check out AND SUCH WERE SOME OF YOU by Anthony Falzarano, available at amazon.com. He is Sarah’s friend and my friend too.

And your strategy of using hateful ugly words to describe my beautiful daughter will certainly backfire. In fact, I am hoping to compile some of these abusive posts to send to the Senate Committee that heard her speak.

I believe you are so intent on seeking outside affirmation because you intuitively know that the lifestyle you are leading is wrong. I promise you, to quote one of my exlesbian friends, that “no amount of social acceptance will soothe a troubled conscience.”

Jesus Christ is real, and your eternal destiny depends on the decision you make to accept salvation and forgiveness that only He can offer, or accept the fate of those who reject Him. I would not wish that fate on my worst enemy. You tube has some pretty scary stuff about people who have had realistic visions of hell. One girl even paints it. I am not trying to scare you, but heaven and hell are real, and our lives here are very short. You are a lot more than the sexual identity you claim, and I encourage you to seek God for your purpose here on earth. I promise you that calling my daughter ugly names from Iowa is not part of that calling. Incidentally, I am from South Dakota.

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 1, 2012 at 10:01 amReplyAuthor

Greetings from San Francisco!

First of all, let me just say that this blog in no way condones comments like Mr. Rose’s. Fighting hate with hate, especially against a 14-year-old child, is unconscionable and always unacceptable.

Now about the issue at hand… please tell me what hateful or ugly words I used to describe your daughter? I certainly cannot find any. I think I was very measured, especially when you consider the fact that it was people like you who flooded my state with negative ads and a homophobic campaign that resulted in the stripping away of rights for tens of thousands of Californians who are now legally deprived of the right to marry who they love. This includes friends of mine.

It is your words that are hateful and ugly. Calling homosexuality a “wrong lifestyle” is bigoted and homophobic. What’s wrong with being gay? Is it something in the DNA? Or are you simply uncomfortable with the thought of men having anal intercourse or women performing oral sex on each other? Or have you struggled to make sense of your own homosexual urges?

As for your assertion that gays can be “cured,” this is refuted by every reputable scientific body in the nation. Sure, gays can choose not to engage in homosexual behavior, but they’re only denying their true selves. There may also be a small number of people who engage in homosexual activity who are ambiguous about their sexuality and who can turn off their gay behavior like a light switch. But for the vast majority of LGBT folks, there is no escaping their homosexuality. For proof of this, just look at all the conservative politicians and religious figures who get caught up in gay sex scandals.

Of course, those who believe that “Jesus Christ is real” would naturally be less prone to give credence to science and fact, for your very statement affirming the existence of Jesus belies your utter divorce from reality. You cannot prove that Jesus is real anymore than you can prove that being gay is a choice.

It is very sad that people still think like you, and what you’ve done to poison your daughter’s mind is bordering on criminal. You are the reason why home-schooling should be illegal unless you have a degree in education. Are you teaching your daughter evolution? Or that creationism mumbo-jumbo? If the latter, then what’s going to happen to your precious Sarah when she wants to go to college and gets laughed out of her science classes?

Thankfully there are few if any people like you where I live. You are on the wrong side of history, and I am confident that you are on the losing side of the Maryland marriage equality fight. You know this, right? Your stance is the equivalent to opposing interracial marriage in, say, 1965, just before the Supreme Court rightfully ruled such bans to be discriminatory. You are a discriminator. Period. And you will soon have a bitter pill to swallow when your state (you’re from South Dakota, but I assume you live in Maryland) becomes the 7th in the nation to legalize same-sex marriage. That will be a glorious day indeed! And guess what– one day in the not-too-distant future, even South Dakota will legalize marriage equality, for in this great nation, justice usually prevails given a long enough timeline.

Again, I am sorry for Mr. Rose’s comment. I am almost equally as sorry for what you’ve done to your daughter.

Oh, and I am a 100% straight male, so your assertion about seeking outside affirmation because I know my gay lifestyle is wrong is about as valid as your bigoted, dead-end ideas about homosexuality itself.

One last thing: even in your beloved Bible, the greatest work of fiction ever penned by man, Jesus says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about homosexuality. If it’s such an important issue, why, then, does your Lord and Savior, who was, by the way, a Jewish liberal who believed in love and compassion for his fellow man (and woman), never mention it even once? Hmmm.

I don’t pray, but I hope that you see the light and purge the hate from your heart. I know what will work–

May your grandchildren be fabulously gay,

-Brett Wilkins, Moral Low Ground Editor-in-Chief

• Scott RoseFebruary 1, 2012 at 5:43 pmReply

Here we are at the crux of this bigotry. Kathleen Crank was a member of “Concerned Women for America” and their bigotry goes way, way, way beyond being directed only against gay people. Are you Jewish? Kathleen Crank believes you are going directly to hell if you will not accept Jesus as your savior. And, because Kathleen Crank is so convinced that you as a Jew will be going to hell, she feels she has a duty to influence US laws with her brand of “Christian” belief, to save you from your non-Christian beliefs as a Jew. Go read through some of the c*$p Concerned Women for America has on their site. Then when it comes to political gay bashing, the group knows no restraints. Mary Frances Forrester, CWA member and widow of the maliciously anti-gay NC Senator James Forrester, published outrageous lies against gay human beings. Caught out in her lies, the publication withdrew her hate speech but followed up with even worse anti-gay hate speech. The woman has never apologized. Full details can be found online. The Forresters were against hate crime protections for gay people (go look up the history of anti-gay hate crimes in the Carolinas). Exactly how many innocent dead gay people will we accept before telling political gay bashers that we are drawing lines in the sand against their bullying non-acceptance of gay human beings?

• Scott RoseFebruary 1, 2012 at 7:00 pmReply

Kathleen Crank — something you have to get through your head is that US civil law is NOT based on your opinion of Jesus, or God, or whether Jesus and/or God will condemn gay human beings to eternal hellfire because they refused to conform to your idea of orientation desirability. It is completely legitimate for a gay US citizen to be Jewish, or atheist, or Muslim — and their religion or lack of one is none of your business. It is NONE of your affair. Even less is it your business to attempt to influence US civil law with your religious belief. If your evaluation of reality has led you to believe such things, goodie, but you have no right to impose them on others. You also have no duty to do so. Other people will do just fine in their lives — without you interfering to allege they need to do such-and-such in the interest of their “eternal destiny.” It is none of your business to interfere in other people’s lives on that basis.

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 1, 2012 at 7:36 pmReplyAuthor

“Nothing needs reforming as much as other people’s habits.” ~Mark Twain.

• Jessica NaomiFebruary 3, 2012 at 9:02 amReply

I quoted Crank here http://antigaybigotryscaresme.blogspot.com/2012/02/standing-up-to-gay-bashing-cranks.html

• Kathrin WackerFebruary 5, 2012 at 1:51 amReply

I feel the need to rant and throw all your inane arguments back in your face, but that would be as futile as trying to get the camel through the eye of the needle. After reading through many articles, and the comments you’ve made on them, I realized just how set in your world of hate-mongering, gay-bashing, and bigotry you really are. My only hope is that once Sarah gets out into the real world, she’ll learn something about love, diversity and tolerance, concepts that you seemed to have missed in your education of her. So far she’s just another bigot in the making, and all I can do is pity her.

• StellaFebruary 27, 2012 at 6:41 pmReply

Sooo well said and So very true!! I am in complete support of you and your daughter. Props to you ladies!Wishing you the best!

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 27, 2012 at 6:51 pmReplyAuthor

Wishing you a very happy Maryland senate same-sex marriage vote. The “gay agenda” reigns supreme!

3. ThaliaFebruary 1, 2012 at 10:51 amReply

Bravo Brett!! That’s right Jesus Christ’s teaching were all about tolerance and love and forgiveness….
    Its shameful and sad that people like Crank misinterpret and give Christians a bad name!

Crank: I am a nanny in the gay neighborhood of San Francisco and I am delighted to report that the gay families I see and hang out with and play date with are decent kind people who really just want to live a happy life like everyone else does and has the right to. It’s a shame also that we STILL must make gay marriage legal when it really us a non issue, a DUH, meaning that OF COURSE consentng ADULTS of any sexual orientation must have the freedom to express their love and relationship through marriage if so they choose to. Sheesh it’s 2012 people in ancient Greece homosexuality was a non issue so why is it an issue TODAY? The world has serious issues to deal with hunger disease GMO foods lack of good schooling racism child abuse serial killers etc…

I SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE

I believe in the wise teachings of Jesus Christ

Peace and love folks

4. salFebruary 1, 2012 at 11:29 amReply

Dear Kathleen,
    Let me start by saying this: the attack by Mr Rose on your daughter is simply unacceptable. She is young and even if people don’t like what she has to say, they need to be a little more respectful.
    Without sounding too harsh. I can’t help but think, that your daughter needs better schooling when it comes to the politics and government. The senate doesn’t pass or refute legislation as birthday gifts. Certainly, if she has an opinion on social issues such as gay marriage, she ought to come up with a better argument than ” Do it for my birthday”. Please take my comment as constructive criticism.
    I understand that you and your daughter are passionate about people’s sexual choices, but may I just present you with this argument:
    If you were sitting at a restaurant, and out side of it you see two situations develop: 1- two gay gays making out 2- a women being raped. Which situation would you think to be more urgent? I am willing to bet the rape situation. right? Assuming I am right. let me share some statistics with you. Each year in the US alone, 900 000 kids are victimized by the sex trade industry . The average age of these kids is 12. ( that’s an average…so there are younger for sure). without going into more details, the human trafficking laws in our country are far from strict if and when they exist. Far too often victims are prosecuted by the law..often charged with prostitution….etc etc ….wouldn’t you agree that this issue could be slightly more urgent? wouldn’t you also agree that, fighting for victimized women’s rights would be something that not only can do lots of good for victims but would also go along way in helping your daughter grow to become a smart , articulate and passionate young girl.
    I would also dare to say that if Jesus was around he would also do his best to help victims of society’s injustices and worry less about who sleeps with who….if Jesus himself was against homosexuality, ( which remains to be proven as Mr Wilkins pointed out) maybe only maybe he would try to address the issue of gay marriage once he got rid of rapes, murders, wars, cancer, homelessness child abuse, …etc….being the loving carrying man he is ( as described by the bible) I am willing to bet that he would probably judge people by their character and by the good they do to the world around them rather than who they love ….
    In the spirit of full disclosure, I am 100% straight & I DO support equality for anyone and everyone.

5. Patrick DyroffFebruary 1, 2012 at 3:37 pmReply

Parents who wish to shield their children from public scrutiny should probably refrain from allowing their children to offer voluntary testimony before the state senate.

When I was fourteen, I had all kinds of brilliant ideas. Indeed, I thought I knew what was right for everyone. Thankfully, my parents had the good sense to keep me away from microphones and the media.

The words posted here are ugly, and aren’t the things I’d say to a child. But jerks on the internet are inevitable and only a fool would think their precious child is immune. I wonder what kind of parents would allow their child to put herself in this position to begin with?

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 1, 2012 at 4:19 pmReplyAuthor

Other than Mr. Rose’s comment, I don’t see anything ugly here except Ms. Crank’s bigoted, yet constitutionally protected, words.

6. Jessica NaomiFebruary 1, 2012 at 7:28 pmReply

Obivously Kathleen Krank thinks that Jews killed her mytnical Jesus and should be killed too. She also believes that gay men and lesbians are worthy of death (Romans 1:27-32). She thinks the only good Jew is a dead Jew and the only good gay is a dead gay. That’s what she is teaching her daughter. She it teaching her that only the people she approves of, agrees with, accepts, respects tolerates and understands are human enough for human rights and American enough for constitutional rights. She it teaching her daughter that anyone who does not look like her, believes like her, or loves like she does should be arrested, stoned to death and set on fire by Jesus because that is in the bible of genocide that she homeschools her daughter about. Instead of Kathleen going before the Maryland legislature to tell them that she thinks all gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans are worthy of death, this coward sends her daughter to speak her words of genocide for her. Then she trolls all the pages where her name pops up to further incite violence against LGBT families feigning shock at gay people who bash back.

I have a wish. I wish that Kathleen would take her kill Jews Kill gays bible ,shove it down her own heterosupremacist tyrannical theocRAT throat, take a large gulp of KILL GAYS KILL JEWS JESUS FREAK KOOLAID and choke on it.

Take that to your heterosupremacist tyrannical theocRAT Maryland legislatures you gay bashing Jew bashing pile of heterosupremacist tyrannical theocRAT trash.

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 1, 2012 at 7:39 pmReplyAuthor

Wow…
      Well, I’m not the praying type (I believe that’s for the weak and ignorant), but I will hope… hope… hope… that Kathleen Krank’s grandchildren are fabulously gay. That might inject some compassion into her discriminating “soul.”

7. SamFebruary 4, 2012 at 2:06 amReply

First of all Kathleen your daughter must have real guts to speak in the senate. But what abhorrent and disgusting views she has-in my opinion. I’m not going to try and change you and your daughter but I do hope the senate are taking evidence from a teenager who was brought up by two gay parents.

8. JohnFebruary 4, 2012 at 1:22 pmReply

I think little Sarah will have to face reality soon enough. Here is a Friend from her mom’s Facebook page. Notice the last name…

And

And

And

He looks to be a hell of a good dancer BTW and his Facebook profile picture was not at all this “gay” 12 hours ago. I wonder, I wonder…

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 4, 2012 at 3:00 pmReplyAuthor

Nice research!

• JohnFebruary 4, 2012 at 7:13 pmReply

• Alex CrankFebruary 13, 2012 at 8:04 pmReply

Hi there! Looks to me like someone has found some pictures of me on Facebook and decided to use them in a response to gay marriage?

Well just fyi, I am gay, and the Cranks ARE in fact my family members. Do I support their beliefs? NOT ONE BIT. Are they my blood and do I still care about them? YES.

Anyways, that’s really all I wanted to say about this matter. 🙂

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 13, 2012 at 8:27 pmReplyAuthor

Nice to “meet” you, Alex. Through all this bullshit, I have encouraged others to be kind to your family, especially a 14-yr-old child. The only “wish” I have for momma Crank is that her grandchildren are gay. Perhaps that will change her outlook a bit. Then again, you’d think that having a gay nephew would have tempered their deplorable homophobia.

9. MikeFebruary 21, 2012 at 6:34 pmReply

Scott Rose are you serious? Wishing Sarah’s death? Where is YOUR tolerance? Myself and the very large majority of the planet, including in the US agree with every word that Sarah said. Every single word of it. Who is doing the bullying now Scott? Sarah has received death threats because she voiced her opinion. Posts have included;

“My god I hate people like this.”

“If I ever see this girl, I will kill her. That’s a promise.”

“This is why abortion must stay legal – to prevent little bigots like this from being Born…”

“Her parents should be exterminated.”

“Parents like hers should be sterilized…”

“Kill this child”

“I will attack her as much as I please.”

“I’m gonna kill ‘er!”

If there is one hair on Sarah’s head that is touched, if she is bullied in any way at all (besides how she has already been) or if her parents are harassed in any way at all (besides how they have already been) … well … you can just imagine what is going to happen.

10. JaneKFebruary 23, 2012 at 7:48 amReply

It’s really appalling to see the death threats here. This little girl does NOT deserve to be killed. She does NOT deserve to be stalked. She does NOT deserve to be bullied, and if any of you are posting from a jurisdiction with anti-bullying statutes I hope you are convicted and sent to jail.

11. StellaFebruary 27, 2012 at 6:32 pmReply

I am so disgusted by You Brett Wilkins, you have the right to have a different opinion that that of Ms.Crank and her family, but you’ve completely crossed the. You have been aggressively belittling, disrespectful and hostile towards this girl. You say she’s ignorant and you say “Earth to Sarah Crank” well Earth to you buddy, She is 14! She is a child, and you are a “man”, an “adult”, and you’re handling yourself more immaturely than her.You have no right to attack a child, and you’re the one that needs the wake up call. This child, is more of an adult than you are. You should feel disgusted and ashamed of yourself. You’re going to have to answer for your actions and so isn’t everyone else, maybe you should think about that more often. Sarah Crank is entitled to her opinion, and I completely agree with her, and she has no reason to be mistreated for the things that she stands for.

• Brett WilkinsFebruary 27, 2012 at 6:50 pmReplyAuthor

I bet you’re also disgusted that the Maryland senate just voted to legalize gay marriage. I bet you’ll be even more disgusted when Gov. O’Malley signs that lovely bill into law. And you’ll positively puke all over your bigoted self when I write a special public letter to little miss Crank inviting her to celebrate Maryland’s affirmation as a civilized place. Hear that? That’s time running out on bigoted dinosaurs like you. On a long enough timeline, justice usually prevails in this great country. Gay marriage in Maryland is justice. Huzzah! Huzzah! One day gay marriages will be as common as any other marriage and no one will bat an eyelash over it. Future Americans will recoil at the thought that gays were once barred from marrying because of people like Crank & Crank. Those people will rightfully be viewed as barbarians of some thankfully bygone era. Sarah Crank’s children (well, maybe in this case her grandchildren), if they find out how she thinks, will be ashamed to call her family.

12. ApollyonMarch 20, 2012 at 2:01 pmReply

Ah, the refreshing words of tolerance from those that claim to be tolerant.

• Brett WilkinsMarch 20, 2012 at 2:05 pmReplyAuthor

Zero tolerance for those who would deny others their civil rights! Do you “tolerate” the KKK?

13. James CJuly 6, 2012 at 6:10 pmReply

Question. If people are born gay just as they are born male or female, could anyone point out the exact gene/chromosome/DNA strand responsible for this, along with references to the published and verifiable scientific research that has proven this unquestionably? Also, being “gay” means having a sexual desire for members of the same sex. So are humans slaves of their genetic makeup, mindlessly following whatever desire their genes tell them to have? Would you say pedophiles are also unable to change or control their desire?

• Brett WilkinsJuly 7, 2012 at 8:20 amReplyAuthor

Pedophiles may indeed be unable to change or control their desire. But what does that have to do with being gay? A less bigoted comparison would be simply to say that gays are unable to change or control their desires just as you, who I am assuming are heterosexual, are also unable to change or control yours.

14. AnnaSeptember 2, 2012 at 5:42 amReply

Brett- Um yes, the KKK is ‘tolerated’, by the very fact that they are allowed to exsist no matter how abhorrent their beliefs.

As for pedophiles and gays, well sexual perversion is sexual perversion no matter which side of the coin it’s on.

15. SusieRApril 9, 2013 at 10:17 amReply

Go Sarah! You a such a blessing to God and all Christians around the country. Thank you for your bravery in exercising your first amendment right and please don’t let the opposition’s threats bother you because God is on our side. Thanks again Sarah for your voice for it speaks for many of us who feel the same way.

16. True FreedomOctober 15, 2013 at 11:27 amReply

I for one am proud of Sarah! I agree! She said it as a true Christian would! There was NO HATRED! She is simply stating her opinion. And just to state “facts” here…God created us to have children & to have as many as we can put the Godly imprint on! God loves gays or all kinds…he loves all sinners. Hello!? He loves us ALL!!! WE ARE ALL SINNERS!! We are not judging you because you sin differently than us. We ALL sin. Every last one of us!! THAT is why Jesus died on the cross! He became the bridge between imperfect sinners & a perfect Holy God!! Why is it that you can disagree with us & threaten innocent lives yet we aren’t allowed to politely disagree with you? TOLERANCE GOES BOTH WAYS! Christians are attacked EVERY DAY! Simply because we choose to love & believe in a life after this world. We follow God’s rule book (the Bible) and we still stumble just like others. We don’t think we’re better than you. Truthfully we know just how insignificant we are! We know we are NOTHING without our Lord and Savior. I have friends who believe differently than me. We can get into some heated debates but we love each other! And I pray for this country! America was once a blessed nation now we have fallen to ruins! Lord don’t turn your back on your people! ONE NATION UNDER GOD! WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!!