‘Douches du Jour’: Black Friday Shoppers Step Over Body of Walter Vance, Senior Citizen Who Dropped Dead in West Virginia Target Store
Walter Vance, a 61-year-old pharmacist who suffered from a heart condition, was among the hordes of Black Friday shoppers hunting for killer deals in the wee hours last Friday. According to the New York Daily News, Vance was shopping for Christmas decorations in a South Charleston, West Virginia Target store when he suddenly collapsed to the floor. And how did the countless bargain hunters around him react? The didn’t, mostly. Shoppers kept on shopping, with some even stepping over Vance’s body. By the time an emergency room nurse and an off-duty paramedic found him and administered CPR it was pretty much too late. Vance died shortly after being rushed to a nearby hospital.
“Where is the good Samaritan side of people,” Sue Compton, one of Vance’s coworkers, asked WSAZ. “How could you not notice someone was in trouble? I just don’t understand if people didn’t help what their reason was, other than greed because it’s a sale.”
Indeed, it was a black Black Friday across the country as otherwise (mostly) sane citizens willingly joined in a nationwide orgy of fevered consumerism. There were some predictably odious results:
- At a Walmart in Little Rock, Arkansas, there was a near-riot over $2 waffle irons.
- A man was shot during an attempted robbery outside a San Leandro, California Walmart.
- Perhaps taking a cue from repression tactics employed by police against ‘Occupy Wall Street’ protesters (who vainly attempted to thwart the consumer crush in San Francisco), a woman at a Los Angeles Walmart pepper-sprayed the competition so she could get her hands on an Xbox video game console. She has since turned herself in.
- Thieves whacked a man over the head and shot a woman in the leg outside a Myrtle Beach, South Carolina Walmart. She has since undergone foot surgery.
- Fights broke out at Walmarts in Rome, New York and Kissimmee, Florida, resulting in two injuries and two arrests.
- Police in Buckeye, Arizona tackled a grandfather for suspicion of shoplifting, smashing his head into the concrete floor of a local Walmart. Witnesses say the senior citizen was merely tucking a video game into his waistband while trying to lift his grandson above the ensuing chaos.
The Little Rock Walmart $2 Waffle Iron Riot of 2011:
You may have noticed that all seven of these incidents occurred at Walmart stores. I’m sure there were other trouble spots, but I couldn’t find any. Maybe you can. Got Black Friday tales of madness and mayhem? Better yet, got photos and videos? If so, share them in the “comments” section below this post.
Tagged black and blue friday, black friday 2011, black friday brawl, black friday madness, black friday shooting, black friday shoppers step over dead man, grandfather tackled by buckeye police, target black friday, waffle iron riot, Walmart, walmart black friday, walmart shooting, walter vance, walter vance black friday, woman pepper sprays shoppers to get xbox, xbox pepper spray