Economy

Days Before Black Passenger Wearing Sagging Pants was Arrested on U.S. Airways Flight, Same Airline Allowed White Man to Fly in Ladies’ Lingerie

Last week, we told you about Deshon Marman, a black college football star who was removed from a US Airways plane and arrested for refusing to comply with a pilot’s request to pull up his sagging pants.

Now comes news from the San Francisco Chronicle that six days before Marman’s arrest, a white male was allowed to board a US Airways flight clad only in revealing ladies’ lingerie.

Saggy pants? Try NO pants! (Photo: Jill Tarlow)

According to the Chronicle, passenger Jill Tarlow was traveling from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Phoenix on June 9 when she saw the older man in blue women’s underwear and black stockings in the terminal. She asked to take his photo, and he happily obliged.

“No one would have believed me if I didn’t take his picture,” she explained. “It was unbelievable… and he loved it. He posed for me.”

Tarlow said that other passengers complained about the man’s unusual clothing before the plane boarded, but airline employees ignored their objections.

“We don’t have a dress code policy,” US Airways spokeswoman Valerie Wunder told the Chronicle. “Obviously, if their private parts are exposed, that’s not appropriate… So if they’re not exposing their private parts, they’re allowed to fly.”

Oh really? Deshon Marman was not exposing his private parts at all. He wasn’t even showing any skin, unlike our cross-dressing friend who was allowed to fly.

Joe O’Sullivan, Marman’s attorney, asserts that his client was asked to pull up his pants because he was stereotyped as a thug, and that US Airways is guilty of racial discrimination. This new evidence of the panty passenger seems to bolster his claim.

“It just shows the hypocrisy involved,” O’Sullivan told the Chronicle. “They let a drag queen board a flight and welcomed him with open arms. Employees didn’t ask him to cover up. He didn’t have to talk to the pilot. They didn’t try to remove him from the plane– and many people would find his attire repugnant.”

“A white man is allowed to fly in his underwear without question, but my client was asked to pull up his pajama pants because they hung below his waist.”

Moral Low Ground has no problem with “drag queens” flying on commercial airplanes in women’s underwear. We also have no problem with sagging pants. But we do take issue with the seemingly discriminatory singling out of Deshon Marman, especially when panty man’s clothing was far more revealing and potentially offensive than his was. Of course, panty man is an old white guy, while Marman is a towering young black man.

Wunder went out of her way to tell the Chronicle that Marman was not arrested because he was wearing baggy pants, but rather because he did not comply with the pilot’s request to pull them up.

“The root of the matter is, if you don’t comply with the captain’s requests, the captain has the right to handle the issue because it’s one of safety.”

The important question here is why the pilot asked Marman to pull his pants up. And if sagging pants are a safety issue, this country is in severe, imminent danger of… I have no idea!

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

1. LenJune 23, 2011 at 4:03 pmReply

Well now where do I start… hmmmm… white privilege perhaps? It a *itch when you ain’t in the club… I’m just sayin…

• Brett WilkinsJune 23, 2011 at 5:19 pmReplyAuthor

Who was it that said “to be born black or brown in this world is like winning the consolation prize of life”?

2. ShellJune 23, 2011 at 5:27 pmReply

Oh please, quit pulling the race card! It gets old and it’s been substantiated that Blacks are more racist than any other culture. Well I don’t agree with there allowing the freak in underwear to board the plane none of us were there when the saggy pants Man was told to pull them up. I suspect he got up in there face or they wouldn’t of tossed him off!!!

• Brett WilkinsJune 23, 2011 at 6:26 pmReplyAuthor

The video of Deshon Marman is readily available and posted at the end of this article. He didn’t get in anyone’s face, but he did refuse the pilot’s request to pull his pants up. As he should have. He was harming no one and no passenger complained, which was not the case with the old white dude in ladies’ undies. And how has it been substantiated that black people are more racist than whites?

• UncleWrukusJune 23, 2011 at 7:57 pmReply

Yes, I too would like to see this “proof” that the black community is anymore racist than the next one over. I was completely unaware racism was measurable.

• ShellJune 24, 2011 at 5:58 pmReply

Black only Colleges, NAACP, Reverend Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Chris Rock, Denzel Washington, ect………

Being blamed for things we’ve never done and what’s up with the ” White Privilege “, sounds a little racist to me! Last time I checked we live in the USA so we all have the same opportunities regardless of our color. It’s easier to sit back and blame others when your making your own choice to be miserable, unsuccessful, ect……

• Brett WilkinsJune 25, 2011 at 7:05 amAuthor

How is a blacks-only college any more racist than a women-only one? Or a Christian-only one? How is the NAACP, which, by the way, has a WHITE president, any more discriminatory than the AARP or the NRA? How is Jesse Jackson, whose Rainbow/PUSH organization fights for the rights of ALL Americans, racist? Chris Rock? You’ve got to be kidding me! He is a COMEDIAN! Al Sharpton? He is a CIVIL RIGHTS champion (except when it comes to gay marriage, I guess). Denzel Washington? Yes, he won’t kiss a white woman in his movies and that is deplorable. But you named one person here who may be racist. This is incomparable to the number of white racists and racist organizations. And now about YOU: If you really believe that “in the USA we all have the same opportunities regardless of our color” then you seriously need to have your head examined. Really. Must I begin to list the countless ways in which the playing field is unfairly stacked against people of color in this country? Must I list statistics about how blacks and Latinos still trail whites in almost every category of importance, whether education, health care, housing, employment, etc, etc, etc? Just because there are affirmative action and anti-discrimination laws does NOT mean that white America has decided to treat people of color equally. Just because we have a (half) black President does NOT mean Americans aren’t racist. That we give ACCESS to a few individuals of color who subscribe to the racist/imperialist/colonialst/corporatist/militarist/Zionist agenda to the halls of power does NOT mean that all the people of that race share equally in that power or benefit from it. Obama has done absolutely NOTHING to help blacks and the poor in this country, and EVERYTHING to help the corporations and special interests that got him to the White House!

3. InMyOpinionJune 24, 2011 at 5:24 amReply

Personally, I don’t like baggy pants, I don’t care who is wearing them. But what I really don’t care for is grown men walking around in public in women’s underwear. If the Airline doesn’t have a dress policy, maybe it is time it gets one.

4. ProPilotJuly 24, 2011 at 12:51 pmReply

Obviously the problem here is uneducated assumptions based on lack of facts related to the issues. Case in point: Brett Wilkins commentary. First of all, institutions such as ‘women-only’ or ‘christian-only’ colleges would not be more (or less) ‘racist’ than a ‘black-only’ college due to the simple fact that ‘gender’ and ‘religious faith’ are not racial classifications. I’m willing to bet that most, if not all, ‘women-only’ and/or ‘christian-only’ colleges have a racially diverse student population, whereas a ‘black-only’ college surely would not. Personally, I have no problems with a private college offering a uniquely afrocentric curriculum to an exclusively black student population, but doing so in a publicly funded (i.e. tax payer funded) college or university would clearly be discriminatory toward other races. Secondly, I’ll make the same point regarding your comparison of the NAACP to AARP and the NRA. The only organization of these three who’s charter is directly related to the race (i.e. ‘color’) of its members is the NAACP. Of course all this is historically in contradiction to their claims of being ‘on the forefront of civil rights battles’ and in the ‘flight for social justice and equality for all Americans’. The race of their new president, Ben Jealous, is immaterial to your argument that the NAACP is no more discriminatory than AARP or the NRA. Utter nonsense. Thirdly, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have well outgrown any distinction they may have ever held as being ‘champions’ of any meaningful, past or present civil rights movement and have devolved into nothing more than irrelevant activists who choose only to attach themselves to issues that provide any opportunity for mainstream media exposure in a desperate effort to curtail their ever dwindling support. Fourth, you lose all credibility as being rational, intelligent, and open-mined when you launch into conspiracy theories involving numerous ‘ists’ as you have i.e. ‘racist/imperialist/colonialst/corporatist/militarist/Zionist’ to somehow imply that all successful blacks have achieved their success by ‘selling out’ to whites. Further, you insidiously discredit President Obama, as being a ‘half-black’ president who has ‘done nothing to help blacks’ and I wonder if you really feel that way because he’s half-white? I am white, my wife and her family are latin, and I have a niece and nephew who are black. Although we all represent different races and descend from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages, we all share a common belief that opportunity and success in any society is determined by the individual and that any opportunity or success granted to any individual by government mandate and based solely on race deprives the individual of the benefits of self-accomplishment, perpetuates their dependence on government, and undermines all efforts to advance the causes of true champions of civil rights such as Dr. Martin Luther King. Is Brett racist? I don’t know, but he clearly has issues with and has clearly voiced his strong dislike of ‘White Americans’, which, at the very least, makes him ‘prejudice’ toward them.

BTW, if I was Pilot in Command and a white guy boarded my aircraft with his pants pulled down exposing his underwear and a black guy boarded the same flight wearing women’s lingerie, I would have them both removed from my aircraft if they did not comply with my orders to resolve their ‘wardrobe malfunctions’ and would, not only because I have the authority to do so, but out of respect and consideration for the majority of other paying passengers who didn’t board my aircraft dressed like disrespectful and inconsiderate idiots.

• Brett WilkinsJuly 24, 2011 at 1:08 pmReplyAuthor

You’re right. I hate white Americans. That includes my (dead) mother, my father, my sister, my aunts, uncles, cousins and 5 nieces and nephews– all of whom are white. And I have voted for a white man to be President 4 times– Clinton, Gore, Nader and again Nader.
      Now that we’ve got that out of the way, where to begin? Let’s start with the NAACP vs. the AARP. One exists to advocate for blacks, the other for older Americans. The former largely excludes whites, the latter completely excludes young people. Neither are discriminatory, however, since they do not advocate AGAINST anyone. As for Sharpton and Jackson, I will not deny that they are political creatures who seek media exposure. As for your slamming of my comment “That we give ACCESS to a few individuals of color who subscribe to the racist/imperialist/colonialst/corporatist/militarist/Zionist agenda to the halls of power does NOT mean that all the people of that race share equally in that power or benefit from it,” don’t be a typical American. Please open your eyes. American imperialism is an undeniable fact of the world we live in; even those on the far-right admit it. Imperialism is an offshoot of colonialism, which the US practiced, and still does. Guam? Puerto Rico? Hawaii? Hello! The U.S. is also a corporatist nation to the bone. How else to explain the Supreme Court’s ‘Citizens United’ decision (and many like it) that declared corporations are people and entitled to donate as much money as they wish to political campaigns, even while you and I are limited to $2,400 contributions? As for militarism, the US is by and far the most militaristic country on earth, spending more on “defense” than every other country combined, with more than 2,000 military bases in other peoples’ countries and constant war being waged– and war of choice, at that. If you don’t see Zionism in action, you’re blind. One-sided support of Israel, including billions of dollars in GIFTED aid each year (to a first-world country while our own people languish), while Israel engages in state terrorism against the occupied people of Palestine, is a disgrace and breeds terror. As for Obama doing nothing to help blacks, he hasn’t. He is a tool of Wall Street interests. Anything he tries to do to help the poor is thwarted by corporatist conservatives and the powerful economic interests he relies upon for his reelection. By brining up race, you completely miss the point, which is that just because a select few people of color (Rice, Powell, Obama) are admitted to the inner circle of power, it doesn’t mean that racism is over. The reason why such people achieve what they do is because they are all aboard with the program of corporatist/imperialist/Zionist control of the world. That, my friend, is no conspiracy theory. It is 100% true. Open your eyes and stop being such a typical American. People like you are the reason why most of the world laughs at us.

5. jErry JenningsSeptember 5, 2011 at 6:13 amReply

Black people are readily picked on by whites every chance they get! You show me a white person, and I can show you a racist! This man was doing nothing wrong, he was not showing any private parts! I do believe that alot of white women like seeing black men in their low pants, showing off their assets, and white men are jealous they dont have anything to show!! Just ask around, women like seeing black men in their low pants! It is white poorly endowed white men who are the only protestors!!!!