James Verone Robs Bank of $1 to Get Free Prison Health Care

Times are tough if you’re sick and unemployed in America, the only country in the industrialized world in which health care is not considered a basic human right and provided universally to all citizens. Indeed, our “national health plan” can best be summed up in three short words: don’t get sick.

But one aging North Carolina man besieged by multiple health problems has found an ingenious, if not extreme, way to get free care. According to the Huffington Post, 59-year-old James Verone, who has a growth on his chest, two ruptured disks and a problem with his left foot, robbed a bank. He walked right up to the teller and handed her a note demanding one whole dollar. He told her he’d be sitting in a nearby chair, waiting for the police to come arrest him.

“This is the first time I’ve been in trouble with the law,” Verone told WCNC from a Gastonia, North Carolina prison. “I’m sort of a logical person, and this was my logic. This is what I came up with.”

With no job, the desperately ill man figured that was his best bet to get his ailments treated. Charged with larceny, Verone hopes to be released after three years when he’ll be old enough to start collecting Social Security benefits.

Tagged , , , , , , ,

1. James MadisonJune 21, 2011 at 6:49 amReply

Sad but true. I hope we get many more people follow in his footsteps. This is what happens when the healthcare industry buys the government.

2. Joey WilliamsJune 21, 2011 at 8:27 amReply

What a sad and depressing story for America. I’m sure this isn’t the first time someone has had to do this just for medical insurance network. My cousin is an insurance agent works at a insurance agency that deal primarly with healthcare and I hear sad stories all the time of how people are robbed of just getting the basic treatment and care they need cause they can’t afford it. Our government needs to fix this right away cause if people are going to jail voluntary basically just for care there is a problem with our society and government.

3. Alexandra LongestJune 21, 2011 at 9:21 amReply

This is a huge blow to our system and our country as a whole. This is a herendous story for someone that simple wan’ts health insurace. Not everyone is as fortunate to have health care insurance, life insurance, and just any insurance and just for simple basic care someone needs our society and government has failed. I remember just to get a medical insurance quote for my daughters asthma problems cost me 50 dollars out of pocket to just to find out what I would eventually be paying them. I feel for this person and he is taking full advantage of the messed up system we have.

• Brett WilkinsJune 22, 2011 at 6:16 pmReplyAuthor

I hope you were able to find affordable care for your daughter.

4. Jimmy V.June 23, 2011 at 4:23 pmReply

Move over Boston there is a new party coming to town! James Verone is a true patriot regardless of your beliefs of the health care system. jamesverone dot com

5. HalJuly 21, 2011 at 12:24 pmReply

And they said crime doesnt pay…

• Brett WilkinsJuly 21, 2011 at 1:24 pmReplyAuthor

The true crime is that Mr. Verone had to go to such extraordinary measures just to secure health care for himself.