Society

‘Douche du Jour’: S.F. Giants Fan on Life Support After Brutal Beating Outside Dodger Stadium

It was supposed to be a joyous occasion– a baseball fan traveled from the San Francisco Bay Area to Los Angeles to watch his World Champion San Francisco Giants take on the hated Los Angeles Dodgers on the opening day of the 2011 Major League Baseball season. But 41-year-old Bryan Stow is lucky to be alive after being beaten to within inches of his life by douchebag Dodger fans in a parking lot outside the ballpark Thursday night.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Stow, a father of two from Santa Cruz who works as a paramedic, was leaving the game with two friends following the Giants’ 2-1 opening night loss to the Dodgers when he was blindsided by multiple assailants. Stow, who had been proudly sporting the Giants’ orange and black, was knocked to the ground, slamming his head on the pavement. Despite being knocked unconscious, the Dodger fans continued to kick Stow while he was down. His friends were also beaten when they attempted to intervene.

Stow is now on life support, in critical condition and fighting for his life.

“He is stable at this point, but it could take a turn for the worse,” Los Angeles police detective P.J. Morris told the Chronicle. Morris appealed to the public for help in finding the perpetrators of this brutal beatdown. “There were thousands of people in the lot,” he said. “It was a totally horrific sight– it probably lasted about 15 seconds.” He described the attackers as Latino men in their late teens or early 20s. One was wearing a tank top, the other a Dodgers jersey.

The bad blood between Dodger and Giant fans dates back to the late 1800s when both teams were playing in New York. It’s the oldest rivalry in American professional sports, and it continued unabated when both teams moved to California in 1958. There have been some memorable moments in the bitter rivalry, like when Giants pitching legend Juan Marichal whacked Dodgers catcher Johnny Roseboro over the head with his bat in 1965. The two men eventually became life-long friends, with Marichal delivering the eulogy at Roseboro’s 2002 funeral.

Dodger fans have particular reason to be sore at Giants fans this season. While the Dodgers endured a bitterly disappointing 2010 season, suffering through a nasty ownership divorce and a losing season on the field, the Giants won the World Series, baseball’s biggest prize, in smashing fashion. The last time the Dodgers won it all was in 1988, when many of their current players were just learning to walk. Still, there is never an excuse for the type of violence witnessed outside Dodger Stadium this opening night.

“It’s sad. It really is,” lamented Giants manager Bruce Bochy. “It’s one thing for two clubs to go at it and compete. This goes too far. It’s a shame someone is in critical condition because of a ballgame. Come on. Let’s not get too serious about this. When it gets violent, it’s gotten out of hand. It sounds like the guy got blindsided, which makes it even worse,” he told the San Francisco Chronicle.

The Dodgers issued a statement calling the crime “extremely unfortunate.” “We’re committed to having the most fan-and family-friendly environment in baseball and will continue to make that a top priority.”

They’ve got their work cut out for them.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. John SmithApril 4, 2011 at 11:19 amReply

Thugs. Sneak across the border and attacks hard working Americans. Father of two and a paramedic…keep the animals out!!

• Brett WilkinsApril 4, 2011 at 11:38 amReplyAuthor

I doubt they “snuck across the border.” They are just dirty Dodger fans. National origin has nothing to do with this.

2. John SmithApril 4, 2011 at 11:39 amReply

Lets wait and see. There is always a 25% chance they are here illegally.

• Brett WilkinsApril 4, 2011 at 11:53 amReplyAuthor

Based on numbers of Latinos in the US and the number of undocumented immigrants, you could be correct. But I seriously doubt nationality had anything to do with this. I am a Giants fan; the Giants-Dodgers rivalry goes back to 1889. The Giants have just won the World Series, the Dodgers still suck. This was a British-style act of hooliganism, pure and simple.

• John SmithApril 4, 2011 at 12:28 pmReply

I tend to agree with you about the rivalry but I am on serious anti-illegal immigrant kick since I watched that special about Latinos sex-slaves on MSNBC.

3. JonApril 5, 2011 at 7:28 amReply

“The Dodgers issued a statement calling the crime “extremely unfortunate.” ”

Isn’t that what you say when your dog takes a dump on the neighbors lawn. I think they could have found a more appropriate description of the crime.

• Brett WilkinsApril 5, 2011 at 9:46 amReplyAuthor

When a dog takes a dump on your lawn or when the US bombs a village full of Afghan children!

4. mark mckennaApril 6, 2011 at 10:52 amReply

why we let any spics cross the border is beyond me .

• Brett WilkinsApril 6, 2011 at 10:58 amReplyAuthor

The Native Americans would likely have said the same about us, if they concerned themselves with petty bullshit like borders.

5. Gang InvestigatorApril 9, 2011 at 1:09 pmReply

The ENTIRE REASON Bryan Stow, the San Francisco Giants fan; was nearly beat to death at an L.A. Dodgers game…

In California, the SOUTHERN hispanics (SURENOS) do not like the NORTHERN hispanics (NORTENOS). This is related to jail/prison politics. Now, Bryan Stow is WHITE. That wasn’t the reason he was attacked. It was because he was sporting a San Francisco Giants jersey at an L.A. game. It was SYMBOLIC of his support of the NORTH, therefore he was targeted. I work with gangs inside prison everyday. In this expert’s opinion, this was the reason of the attack.

• Matt MApril 15, 2011 at 5:25 pmReply

Totally agree with you. This had nothing to do with the long-standing SF/LA rivalry. Nor, did it have anything to do with Stow being white and those two vermin being Latino. It had everything to do with the territoriality of the north and south gangs. How dare Stow sport a jersey supporting the north in southern territory. As of today, 4/16, the reward is $150,000. Someone will rat the bastards out.

• Brett WilkinsApril 15, 2011 at 6:11 pmReplyAuthor

Let’s hope so!

6. JoeApril 11, 2011 at 10:43 amReply

The last comment is absolutely correct, and I can’t believe this has not been reported on at all. This unfortunate incident had little if anything to do with baseball, it was just a bunch of dirty sewer rats beating on a civilian who is in no way connected to their parasitic gang-community.

7. DodgerFanApril 11, 2011 at 12:43 pmReply

Brett,
    Are you racist? I think that you’re sterotyping all Dodgers fan as thugs, but we’re not. I am a Dodger fan and by no means would never do what those idiots did to Bryan. A true Dodgers fan would not result to violence, yet alone try to take someones life. I support my team with pride and I feel that Bryan was doing that when he was at the game. He deserves that right as a fan, and I put the blame on Fred McCourt and Dodgers organization for not having better security. I understand how upset Giants fan are, and they have a right to be, but let’s all learn from this tragedy, and pray for Bryan and his family. They need it the most.
    Sincerely,

George P.

• Brett WilkinsApril 11, 2011 at 1:31 pmReplyAuthor

What does race have anything to do with this? I merely mentioned the fact that according to police, the attackers were Latino. Oh, and by the way, I am half black. And half Mexican. Blaxican, if you will. Racist? I think not!

8. Mark JonesApril 12, 2011 at 9:12 amReply

Mr. Wilkins, answer me this, because you definitely sound like a liberal idiot. First the comment by the Dodgers organization is no comparison to bombing an Afghan village, another topic, another time. Why is it that when these incidences occur at Dodger games, San Diego Charger games, and let’s not forget when the Raiders were LA’s home team that they are 9 out of 10 times perpetrated by Latino’s, give me a break, take your blinders off!

• Brett WilkinsApril 12, 2011 at 9:51 amReplyAuthor

I don’t see why this has to be about race. Some douchebag Dodger fan nearly killed a Giants fan. Up here in San Francisco the media is going out of its way to try to impress that it wasn’t a “Dodgers fan” who attacked Bryan Stow, it was “just some thugs.” But the thugs, regardless of their race, were wearing Dodger gear. I was not there, but I bet this isn’t their first game and I bet they could name a few players on the team. Therefore, they are Dodgers fans. As for their race, what is the percentage of Los Angeles County’s population that is Latino? I’ll tell you– 48%. So, by simple math and without any racial or socio-economic considerations whatsoever, if 48% of crime in Los Angeles County is committed by Latinos, they’re committing their “fair share” of the crime. You show me statistics to back up your assertion that “9 out of 10 times” incidences are perpetrated by Latinos, and then we’ll talk.

9. superdudeApril 15, 2011 at 9:39 amReply

Yeah, I’m surprised the possible Norteño vs. Sureño gang angle hasn’t been brought up in the news coverage. I guess nobody wants to guess at the motivation without suspects in custody. But come on… it’s not very often that baseball fans just attack and nearly kill other fans because they are wearing the wrong colors. Gangbangers and gangbanger wannabes do it all the time though.

I don’t think it’s racist to say this. If it was a gang thing, I blame the gangbangers. Not Latinos or the Dodgers fans or Giants fans.

And I’m not sure how Dodger security was supposed to prepare for something like this. Maybe they should have some awareness now. But they’re supposed to be policing a baseball game, not a maximum security prison.

10. dansoloApril 16, 2011 at 7:33 pmReply

I met Bryan Stow 3 weeks ago during Spring training in AZ. We attended 2 Giants games, and one of them was at the Dodgers home field in AZ. We had a wonderful time at the and there was NEVER EVER a hint of the gang atmosphere at any of these games. Bryan came here with my Nephew and they spent an entire week here enjoying Giants games wherever they were being played. As the information filters my way, I have to agree TOTALY with “Gang Investigator” this appears to be a turf thing, gang thing……regardless of Bryans race, intentions……whatever….he wore the Giants Gear to a Dodger game…..How sad. Bryan Stow is one of the nicest people I have ever met.

11. JosephSeptember 12, 2011 at 9:49 pmReply

Dear John smith, you are the reason why ppl hate the US