Moral Low Ground

Economy

What’s in Taco Bell’s “Beef”? Only 36% Actual Beef… and Sand

A California woman has filed a lawsuit against Taco Bell, the popular Mexican-inspired fast-food chain, claiming their beef products aren’t as beefy as the restaurant says. CBS News says Amanda Obney, who filed the lawsuit, isn’t looking for any monetary award. She just wants Taco Bell to be honest about what’s in the food they’re selling.

Obney hired Montgomery, Alabama law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles to represent her. If you think the firm’s name is a mouthful, just wait until you get a load of the 24 different ingredients that make up Taco Bell’s “beef.”

While attorney Dee Miles tested the chain’s “meat mixture” and found it contained only 36% actual beef, some of the more dodgy components in the meat were: maltodextrin, xanthan gum, calcium propionate, fumaric acid, and silicon dioxide.

You may not think you’ve have heard of any of those ingredients before, but I bet you have. Silicon dioxide is one of the most common ingredients on earth–literally– but it has no place going in your mouth. That’s because silicon dioxide is sand.

And you thought that crunchy taste in your Beefy Crunch Burrito was those Flamin’ Hot Fritos they stuff inside!

Why sand? According to Men’s Health, Taco Bell says the silicon dioxide prevents the “beef” from clumping together during shipping and processing.

Taco Bell is standing by its “beef.” “At Taco Bell, we buy our beef from the same trusted brands you find in the supermarket,” company president Greg Creed explained. “We start with 100% USDA-inspected beef,” he said.

Yes, and Glenn Beck started out as a liberal. Really.

(Disclaimer: the author worked for Taco Bell as a teenager, 20 years ago.)

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

Related Posts

3 Comments

  1. Gaspar HoxhaMarch 4, 2011 at 10:03 amReply

    I am paying attention, and this one might have been dreamed up by Michael Moore. I make my taco beef just the same way Taco Bell does – with 100% fresh-ground beef, to which I add onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, flour and a few other things. The plaintiff and the attorneys going after Taco Bell have their heads so far up their ass that they can see out their nose, and you’re feeding the frenzy. Next you’ll be telling me that Bush and Israel were responsible for 9/11.

    • GoDMarch 4, 2011 at 11:55 amReply

      I hope your aware that your not making “beef,” your just seasoning it… they actually take a power washer and spray down left over bones and such from used caucuses to get whats left of what you call “beef.” Oh and if by a few other things you mean a meat mixture with 35 percent beef, with the remaining 65 percent containing water, wheat oats, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agents and modified corn starch… go figure..

      Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/01/25/wheres-beef-taco-bell-sued-ingredients/#ixzz1Ff811e7w

      • Brett WilkinsMarch 7, 2011 at 2:41 pmReplyAuthor

        Fully aware… I used to work at Taco Bell as a teenager. We used to have to “cook” the beef, which came in large plastic bags, by boiling it in water for several minutes before it was ready to be served. We didn’t need a scientific test to know that Taco Bell’s beef was poor quality; nevertheless, I ate plenty of it on my breaks and after work and I’m perfectly healthy today!

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Douche Du Jour
  • GOP Congressman Robert Pittenger Says Charlotte Protesters ‘Hate White People Because They’re Successful’
  • Israel Nominates Col. Eyal Karim, Who Endorsed Rape of Non-Jews to ‘Boost Troop Morale,’ for Chief Military Rabbi
  • The Hateful 8: Anti-Gay Christian Leaders Praise Orlando Massacre
  • Koch Brother’s Youth Education Program Teaches ‘Sacrificing Lives for Profits’
  • Tracy Murphree, GOP Texas Sheriff Candidate, Threatens to Beat Transgender Women Unconscious
Archives